web accessibility bulgarian flag english flag
Home » Structure » Faculties » FACULTY OF BIOLOGY

FACULTY OF BIOLOGY

 


Nowadays the faculty of biology has more than 50 years of history – initially just profile “Biology” since the foundation of the Higher Institute of Pedagogy for Natural Sciences and Mathematics in 1961(which eventually emerged to Plovdiv University “Paisii Hilendarski” in 1972). Independent faculty since 1990. Located in the Old Town district of Plovdiv, close to the antic theatre.

Annually over 1000 students study at the faculty in several bachelor courses – Biology, Biology and Chemistry, Ecology and preservation of the environment, Molecular biology and Bioinformatics. Since 2009. two more bachelor courses are available - Ecology and biotechnological production and Medical biology and another one – Biology and Physics is available since 2010. Student`s activities take place at seven departments – Human anatomy and physiology, Biology of growth, Biochemistry and microbiology, Ecology and Environmental preservation, Zoology and Plants physiology and molecular biology. Separate laboratory for genetic engineering, within the department of Plants physiology and molecular biology is available for practice of students and PhD Students.

Hundreds of publications (also including treatises) in Bulgaria and many other countries testify for the scientific research of the highly qualified faculty staff. Thus, among the high-quality of the studying activities forms the indisputable prestige of the faculty.

Last update on 08 September 2013